Posted: June 24, 2022
“It’s not the planned things that change us; it’s the encounters,” says Benjamin Isaak-Krauß, a two-time Assembly participant from Germany. Online participants find space for those barrier-crossing encounter at Mennonite World Conference’s event in the Assembly Hub.
Event programs can be inspiring; however, the moments that make life change are often spontaneous connections over food or in workshops. “It’s a mix between choice and chance,” says Benjamin Isaak-Krauß.
In the Assembly Hub, under the “Community” tab, participants can click “Discussions” to join 6-7 others. In this chat interface, participants can discuss across barriers of space and language (with the help of translation software).
Like a coffee break at an in-person event, the time in these rooms is limited to keep conversations fresh.
For those with video capacity, “instant networking” offers a five-minute video call with a single person.
Or participants can send a person-to-person instant message through the app.
“I look forward to conversations with you in chat spaces – serious ones about theology and lighthearted discussions of food and culture,” says Natacha Wendyam Kendrebeogo, YAMEN participant on the Assembly registration team. “What would you like to discuss with a global Anabaptist?”
Registration has perks: take in ALL of Assembly
Online attendance at Assembly 17 is so much more than a YouTube video. Registration for Assembly 17 provides an all-access pass through the Assembly Hub!
- Take part in morning and evening sermons, greetings from ecumenical guests, worship singing with the international choir.
- Attend workshop presentations.
- Watch video activities from the children and teen/youth program.
- Join a chat room to converse live with brothers and sisters from around the world.
- Read stories and watch blogs about the service projects, host churches in Indonesia, and attendees at Assembly.
All videos and stories will remain accessible until 30 September.
Join the Conversation on Social Media