Posted: February 15, 2022
“MWC brings the global church together as a sign of God’s desire for the world and that’s a vision I want to be a part of,” says J Ron Byler.
The roster of servants who foster relationships in the global church expands with new faces in these months before Assembly.
“I’m excited to have the opportunity to interact with a wider variety of Anabaptists to increase my understanding of what it truly means to be a priesthood of all believers, to discern together in community and to take seriously the biblical call for peace and justice,” says Greg Chandler-Burns.
- J Ron Byler steps into the role of interim Chief Development Officer. He has served staff and volunteer roles with Mennonite Central Committee and Mennonite Church USA. He began part-time in January 2022, working from his home in Goshen, Indiana, USA. Ron Byler is a member of Eighth Street Mennonite Church.
- Greg Chandler Burns joins Ron Byler as information technology and development coordinator in January 2022. He works from the Kitchener office, also offering IT support. He previously served with MCC Ontario. Greg Chandler Burns attends Erb Street Mennonite Church.
- Jardely Martínez and Michael Darby serve as co-coordinators of Assembly communications. They previously served with MCC Guatemala and are now based in Colombia. Jardely Martínez is also youth program coordinator for Assembly 17. She is a member of Dios es Amor (Mennonite Brethren) in Bogota, Colombia, and Michael Darby is a member of First Mennonite Church, Iowa City, USA.
- Jennifer Olivia is serving as an intern on the Assembly communications team, working from her home in Semarang, Indonesia.
- Shirley Redekop is no longer working as Chief Development Officer as of January 2022, due to a strategic change in MWC’s fundraising approach.* “We extend our thanks to Shirley for bringing her warmth and enthusiasm to serve the global church,” says César García, MWC general secretary.
- Elina Ciptadi stepped back from Assembly communications due to other commitments. “We are grateful Elina can continue to offer her communications and cultural expertise to the Assembly team in a volunteer capacity,” says Liesa Unger, Chief International Events Officer.
- The term of Bill Braun, Executive Committee member for North America, has ended early. The local congregation of which he is a part (Willow Avenue Mennonite Church) has been suspended from membership in MWC member church U.S. Conference of Mennonite Brethren. Bill Braun served MWC for many years as General Council delegate and as Executive Committee member from 2015-2021. “We express our immense gratitude for Bill’s commitment and service to our global church. We will miss his gifts and wisdom in the Executive Committee,” says César García, MWC general secretary.
“Engaging with the global community is also about connecting with local churches, and I am excited to better understand and communicate the broad perspective of our faith communities, but also an individual, local and unique perspective of what each member brings to the body of Christ,” says Jardely Martínez.
*Updated 22 February 2022
Join the Conversation on Social Media