The Global Mennonite History Series consists of five volumes of history, one from each continental region. Writers from each region trace the origins, development and mission of the Anabaptist-related churches there, reflecting the experiences, understandings and perspectives of these churches.
This fresh offering of history is the first time some of these churches have cooperated in telling their story in their own voice. Themes in one book differ from those in another. This telling of the story of Mennonite and Brethren in Christ churches is intended “to stimulate the renewal and extension of Anabaptist Christianity worldwide.” This series helps readers to understand what the North American religious magazine Christian Century calls “the shift in church energy, leadership and numbers from North to South, from developed to developing nations.”
The Global Mennonite History Series was initiated by Mennonite World Conference at its thirteenth global assembly in Calcutta, India in January 1997. The series was guided by an international organizing committee whose members represent all five continental regions. General editors are John A. Lapp and C. Arnold Snyder.
The series includes the following five volumes:
(All volumes in English, with translations of some into selected languages)
- Anabaptist Songs in African Hearts, released in 2003 at the 14th global assembly in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (also available in Spanish and French)
- Testing Faith and Tradition, the volume from Europe, released in 2006 (also available in Spanish, French, German and Dutch)
- Mission and Migration, the volume from Latin America, released in 2010 (also available in Spanish and French)
- Churches Engage Asian Traditions, the volume from Asia, released in 2011
- Seeking Places of Peace, the volume from North America, released in 2012
English-language books are available at Mennonite Life (formerly Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society) (USA) and Pandora Press (Canada)
Dutch translation of Volume II, Geloof en Traditie beproefd, available at http://www.mennosimonsshop.nl
German translation of Volume II, Glaube und Tradition in der Bewährungsprobe, available at http://www.neufeld-verlag.de