Nobody anticipated the pandemic barrier that would challenge Assembly plans when they chose the theme “Following Jesus together across barriers”.
One year later than the original date, the 17th Assembly of Mennonite World Conference takes place 5-10 July 2022 with 700 participants on-site in Indonesia and thousands of online registrants across the globe, live-streaming sessions or watching the video recordings at a more convenient hour later in the day.
Meet the evening speakers:
- Timothy J. Geddert,* professor of New Testament at Fresno Pacific University (Biblical Seminary) in California, USA, opens the event by exploring how Jesus modelled crossing barriers in Mark 7:24-30.
- Therapist and newly minted AMBS theology graduate from France, Salomé Haldemann shares on learning together. Looking at passages from Scripture, she points at God’s passion for justice and the Holy Spirit’s empowerment for Christ-followers.
- From Hong Kong, pastor and composer Jeremiah Choi speaks on living together within the body of Christ. Exploring passages from Scripture, he shares about unity in the body of Christ and solidarity with others.
- Drawing from her experience ministering among people living on the street in Costa Rica, Cindy Alpízar speaks on caring together. Stories of Jesus from the Gospels and admonishments from Romans and Colossians animate her presentation on serving one another in the name of Christ.
- At the final evening service, well-known speaker, author and church leader Barbara Nkala from Zimbabwe rallies participants to celebrate together. God’s reconciling Spirit that empowers barrier crossing between cultures, churches, ages, genders and more, as taught in Isaiah, John, Ephesians and 2 Corinthians.
“We’ve put together an exciting set of plenary sessions with Anabaptist leaders from around the world,” says Frieder Boller, plenary session coordinator. “We expect to become inspired by the Holy Spirit through various people’s insights, experiences and stories of what it means to follow Jesus. Join us!”
The evening sessions will air live in the afternoon in Europe and Africa, in the morning in the Americas.
*Note: the previously announced speaker for Tuesday evening withdrew for personal reasons.
- plenary speakers beamed to you from 5 different sites in Indonesia,
- the international choir singing old favourites and new hits,
- Workshops with scholars and practitioners in the Anabaptist-Mennonite family
- video activities from the children and teen/youth program
- a small group chat room to encounter new and old friends from around the world
- opportunity to pray with brothers and sisters in places of challenge, suffering or joy.