Meet your Global Anabaptist Service Network (GASN)
GASN is a network of the Mission Commission and is committed to the Shared Convictions of the Mennonite World Conference.
We envision a network of Anabaptist service agencies collaborating and strengthening each other in holistic, Jesus-centered mission locally and globally.
The Global Anabaptist Service Network (GASN) will strengthen the capacity of Anabaptist churches and their agencies to reach out in service to the marginalized and people in need, as witness to God’s love and compassion for all, to seek transformation and promote justice in our communities and encourage hope.
The specific objectives of the Global Anabaptist Service Network are:
- Provide a space for service agencies and organizations to connect with each other
- Promote awareness and understanding of the work of Service Network agencies and organizations as ministries of the church
- Provide opportunities for the global Anabaptist church to give counsel to Service Network agencies and organizations
- Encourage better and stronger collaboration among member agencies and organizations
- Increase channels of communication and interaction among members agencies and organizations
- Work together to accomplish more than members agencies could do individually
- Honor the gifts of all members regardless of their capacity
- Share best practices and lessons learned among members
- Provide opportunities for training, growth and development
- Reflect together on what it means to be an Anabaptist service agency
- Learn about global needs and how to respond effectively
The Global Anabaptist Service Network is guided by these values:
- Commitment: Walking with people who are marginalized is an essential part of God’s commandments (Deuteronomy 26:12, Matthew 25:31–46).
- Dignity: All members have needs and all members have value to contribute (2 Corinthians 8).
- Unity: All members belong to one Body; if one part suffers every part suffers with it (1 Corinthians 12).
- Life and witness: All members are called to be salt and light (Matthew 5:13-14), announcing and living out the Kingdom of God wherever they are.
A member of the Global Anabaptist Service Network is one involved in service ministries beyond the congregation in our own communities or country or around the world.
Members of the Global Anabaptist Service Network will agree to the following basic guidelines:
Whenever a GASN member agency, as donating or implementing agency, starts a project or ministry anywhere in the world it will:
- Consult first with local churches who are members of MWC
- Seek relationship with Service Network members already in place at the location
- There will be mutual respect among Service Network member agencies and organizations in the spirit of 2 Cor. 8:14-15 (fair balance between abundance and need).
- The beneficiaries of service have a voice in decision-making in the program, beginning with planning and through the implementation and evaluation stages.
- Members of the Service Network are financially transparent and responsable.
- Service is provided to everyone in need regardless of religion, creed or ethnicity.
- Members of the Service Network will work to build bridges of trust within the network and churches at all levels.