A recipe to cure homesickness
Laos and Indonesia are both in South East Asia, so some kinds of food are similar. But sometimes, as Laotian teaching English on YAMEN in Indonesia, I miss Lao food.
When I make food from home, it helps me to not feel as homesick. Cooking Lao food to share with others helps me to share God’s love with people around me. I enjoy it when they say Lao food is delicious.
Cucumber salad (for 3 people)
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers
- 4 small tomatoes
- 4 fresh chiles
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons lime
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (I brought it from Laos)
- Cut the cucumbers and tomatoes in small pieces.
- Mix the fresh chiles, garlic, sugar, shrimp paste together.
- Add chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Add the lime and fish sauce, then mix all ingredients together.
- Test for flavour; add more ingredients as necessary.
Pairs well with grilled fish or chicken.
—Khammoun Xayalath (Moon), from Lao Evangelical Church, serves as an English teacher and community worker. On her YAMEN year in Indonesia, she worships with Dorang Javanese Evangelical Church, a GITJ (Gereja Injili di Tanah Jawa – Java Mennonite church).
YAMEN is a joint program of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and Mennonite World Conference (MWC).